Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Mr. Stripey

Meet Mr. Stripey, one of my favorite tomatoes. I plant lots of different tomatoes every year, but this is the first time in 10 years that I have been able to find a Mr. Stripey.

I was vegetable plant shopping with my boys (who were 12 and 15 at the time) when we spotted this plant, and knew we had to give it a try.

There are two different kinds - the one I grow is a beefsteak. The fruit in the photo is 6 inches across. They're sweet and beautiful! Big, yellow tomatoes with red vertical stripes on the outside. When you cut them, they look like they've been tie-dyed.

What a delicious 'mater! I was so happy to spot them at Home Depot, and believe I bought the last one. If you'd like to try them, stop by the house and I'll pick a few for you.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am a proud owner of a Mr. Stripey from Lynne. It is a wonderful specimen, almost too lovely to eat, but don't miss the treat. It's as tasty as it is beautiful. Ellise Adams

Lynne said...

Thanks, Ellise!