Monday, September 17, 2007

USAF Marathon

We were in Dayton, Ohio this weekend so Charlie could run the Air Force Marathon. The race began and ended at the Air Force Museum at Wright Patterson AFB. It's quite an impressive place. The Air Force hosts a dinner the night before in the museum - imagine eating in the shadow of a B-52!

The marathon began at daybreak (7:30 a.m.), but the "before" photo of Charlie was taken about 6:45-ish. It was dark and cold, but CW insisted it was perfect running weather: cool, low humidity.





See the orange tag on Charlie's shoe? It's a chip that tells you exactly what time you crossed the finish line.











C-5s flew overhead. Unfortunately, this picture captures very little. The planes are humongous and loud!






I know, doesn't he look better in the after picture? When I greeted him at the finish line, he said "That was so much fun!"

They would not have been my words after running 26.2 miles.

4 comments:

Wendy said...

I think I've accomplished something if I DRIVE that far :)

Lynne said...

Amen, sister. What was most surprising to me was the diversity of people crossing the finish line - a beautiful thing to behold.

jenny said...

congrats to CW!

ukrainiac said...

I'm tired just THINKING about it!