Saturday, March 01, 2008

Lasagna

Here's the recipe for the lasagna I made tonight/today/all day.

Homemade pasta and three sauces later, I was ready to assemble. Really, it took all day. First the tomato sauce; then the Bolognese sauce (had to simmer in the oven 2 hours); then the bechamel. The ricotta had to be placed in cheesecloth and drained for four hours...

I told Charlie it was going to be either the best lasagna or the biggest waste of time. It was great, but I was way too tired to enjoy it. I worked in the yard while sauces were simmering and right now I'm exhausted. I can barely lift the Advil to my lips.

This is not to say that it's not worth it. Spread it out. Use your freezer. Enlist your friends. A warning: it is very different and not a typical lasagna at all. Don't bother with side dishes, don't feel compelled to have salad or something green, forget the bread, even. The lasagna is enough, but for heaven's sake serve it with a big glass of red wine.

Good night!

5 comments:

ukrainiac said...

Now THAT looks like I something I could sink my teeth into! And I'll join you with a bit of red wine.

Charlie said...

The best lasagna. Period.

Jennifer said...

After reading this to Noah & Anna Claire this morning, I happened to think of your lasagne:
"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "What's the first thing you say to yourself?"
"What's for breakfast?" said Pooh.
"What do you say, Piglet?"
"I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?" said Piglet.
Pooh nodded thoughtfully.
"It's the same thing," he said.

kibbe said...

Oh my gosh, I miss your cooking, bread etc.....

Wendy said...

Stouffers - eat your heart out!